If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, your doctor may have recommended you start taking extra care of your feet. Or you may have concluded that on your own after experiencing an increasing number of foot problems such as calluses, blisters and dry skin. What is the connection between diabetes and foot health? There are several links.
For one, high blood sugar levels damage nerves in your feet, a condition called diabetic neuropathy. This results in reduced sensation in your feet. You might get injured or develop blisters without knowing it.
Diabetes may also cause reduced blood circulation, deformed feet and excessive skin dryness in your feet. If you are not careful, some of these problems may lead to eventual foot amputation.
The foot creams we have recommended below are great if you are experiencing diabetes-related foot problems. We have chosen them for their safety and effectiveness. Read through the brief reviews and find the best one for you and start using it today to keep your feet well protected.
With the natural scents of rosemary, lavender and mountain pain, this refreshing foot cream is one of the best. It comes in a 500ml dispenser and can be used on the feet as well as between the toes. It moisturizes your skin, ensuring they stay soft and supple through the day. This is especially important in preventing the formation of cracks which can lead to serious ulcers.
- Contains natural ingredients that are safe and effective.
- Helps prevent fungal infections on your feet and nails.
- Ideal for relieving aching and tired feet.
If dry feet and cracked problems are a nagging problem, this softening cream will help. The first thing it does is rehydrate your skin, keeping it moist and supple for hours. It then combats any pain on your feet and uses its antiseptic properties to keep infections at bay.
For best results, make sure you massage it deeply into your feet and between the toes.
- A hundred present natural with ingredients such as Shea butter, Jojoba oil and tea tree oil.
- Provides fast and lasting relief for aching and cracked feet.
- Keeps your feet well protected from infections. This is especially beneficial if you frequently get ulcers or wounds on your feet.
This cream is made specifically for people with diabetes. Apply it on your whole foot including the underside, the top, between the toes and around wounds and ulcers.
It moisturises chapped skin and provides antiseptic protection against infection. It also acts as a lubricant, ensuring that friction with your shoes or the floor does not cause further harm to your feet.
- Promotes faster healing for people with calluses, wounds and ulcers.
- Reduces itching.
- Comes in a soothing non-greasy form.
This foot balm is 100% organic. In it, you will find all-natural and organic ingredients including Shea butter, Peppermint oil and Apricot oil. Most of these components have moisturising qualities. They re-moisturise your skin, which goes a long way in preventing cracks and calluses.
You can use it to treat cuts, wounds, sores and blisters while also protecting your feet from further damage.
- Effective at combating pain and itching.
- Promotes quicker healing of sores, blisters and wounds.
- Has a soothing effect.
- Keeps away bad foot odours.
This cream contains no water, which makes it ideal for diabetics. It keeps harmful bacteria at bay, thus protecting you from infections.
It is also a wonderful moisturiser, highly effective against cracked skin and calluses. You can use it anywhere on your feet including between the toes.
- An all-natural blend that is both safe and effective. This means no additives, synthetic fragrances or artificial preservatives.
- It provides skin protection for those who love hiking, cycling and sports. You don’t have to let diabetes keep you from enjoying an active lifestyle.
- Long lasting foot relief from pain and itching.
What to look for when buying foot cream for diabetics
- The most important feature to consider when buying a foot cream is its moisturizing capability. For a majority of diabetics, dry and chapped feet are very common. If not taken care of, cracks develop which then lead to slow-healing ulcers and could cause more serious problems.
- Look for creams that use natural ingredients like Shea butter and jojoba oil to hydrate the feet.
- You will also benefit greatly from foot cream with antiseptic ingredients. Infections are a big danger for diabetics. If you get an infected wound or ulcer, it could mean serious (and expensive) treatment and in extreme cases, amputation.
- An antiseptic foot cream provides protection from infection. If you already have wounds or cracks, read the label to find out how you can protect them from getting infected.
- For comfort, look for foot cream that provides relief from aches and itching. I would also recommend buying a natural or organic foot cream. It may be pricier than regular creams but it is worth it. With your health condition, it is not a good idea to risk using cream containing ingredients such as alcohol, parabens, synthetic fragrances and preservatives.
- Luckily, there are many high quality and affordable natural foot creams available today. Start with our top recommendations above.
Frequently asked questions
1. Why do I need a diabetic foot cream?
To tackle problems that come with having diabetes. Your feet will be drier than normal and you will be at a higher risk of developing calluses, blisters and skin ulcers. Diabetic foot creams provide a variety of benefits including hydration, antiseptic protection and pain relief.
2. Can I use any moisturizing cream even if it is not meant for the feet?
This is not a good idea. Diabetic foot creams are formulated to deal specifically with problems arising from your health condition. Other moisturizing creams may not provide similar benefits.
3. How do I use the cream?
Read the label or instruction booklet for usage instructions. It will tell you where to apply the cream and its safety if you are pregnant or have certain health conditions.